« Essences for Difficult Love Relationships
Essence Dilution Do’s and Don’ts »

Buying Essences at the Stock vs. Dosage–Which are You Getting?

Posted by admin on Oct 16, 2009

©2009 by Pat Davis, Flower Essence Practitioner

In the past few months I experimented with flower essences from companies I don’t normally do business with.  To my chagrin, in several instances I found out too late the flower essences I ordered were dosage level instead of the usual stock level. This information was not disclosed on the label.  I inquired only because of an intuitive hunch.

What’s the difference between a stock level flower essence remedy, and a dosage bottle of that remedy? Which is preferable?  During my training with FES, the subject of stock vs dosage was repeatedly discussed.  The general consensus was this:  that which you choose to use is simply personal preference.

However, there isdropperbttles2-a2d no evidence Dr Bach ever used essences at the dosage level.  For that reason some practitioners believe stock level is the only level that should be used for best results. Others say the dosage bottle is equally (or even more) effective.  As far as I know there have never been any scientific trials conducted to determine which is better.

The stock level is made from a few drops of the “mother” essence. This is the original infusion of the plant energy into water. This stock level is most commonly sold by major essence companies such as Bach, FES, and Pegasus. The dosage bottle is one step further diluted, usually a few drops of the stock is added to a bottle of water with some alcohol as preservative.

I know from my own experience as a Practitioner that the dosage bottle does work for my clients, and usually very well.  Perhaps there is an element of the practitioner’s own energy/prayers/intentions going into the making of a combination dosage level remedy.  I like to think the personal touch is important.

However, as a Practitioner, I expect to receive stock-level essences from companies that make and sell (non-personalized) bottled essences.  These stock-level essences can then be combined in the making of a personalized dosage bottle for clients who are working on emotional healing issues.dropperbttlamber-a2d

The bottom line here is caveat emptor – let the buyer beware. There are no labeling regulations which would require flower essence manufacturers to declare the bottle contents as stock or dosage level.  For this reason – if this matters to you – contact the company first and ask.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR  Pat Davis is a Flower Essence practitioner and has studied esoteric philosophy and natural healing techniques, including flower essences, for over 20 years.  In 2003 she undertook an intensive training session and began her work as a Practitioner.  She offers affordable combination remedies with consult and can be contacted at pdavis22@gmail.com

A note from Vibration Editor, Donna Cunningham:  For many years, I combined flower essences with my astrology practice, and when it was long distance, I suggested that they get them from health food stores or the companies involved. I often contacted clients afterwards to see how the essences we discussed worked for them.  Whenever the person said the essences didn’t work at all, I questioned them as to how they took them.  Almost invariably, they said they didn’t mix them down into dosage level but took the concentrate directly from the bottle.

How about you, Readers?  Can you add anything you’ve experienced that can throw light on this question?  Use the comment section to reply.
The World Wide Essence Society does not mean to imply any recommendation of nor give certification to any individuals or companies above. This article is provided purely for informational purposes. We ask consumers to make their own determination as to quality of the services and products offered above. This article is not meant to be advice, and the information is not meant to replace medical or psychological treatment. All articles and comments offered by readers do not necessarily represent the views of Vibration Magazine.

15 Comments »

Joie:

I’m the last one wishing for government intervention or regulation, but have this question: Where are standards/guarantees of potency in any vitamin/essence/etc? With prices all over the map for products how are we to know it’s potency and effectiveness?

October 17th, 2009 | 10:54 pm
Anne Ryan:

I would expect stock essence when i ordered essence and would not re order from a company who did not provide that. You are generous in seeing this as a practitioners difference. I see it as simply greedy to send a dosage strength essence. without stating same.If people are using essences enough to order them on line, they should know the difference. I prefer to USE essences at dosage strength and have counseled those for whom I have suggested flower essences to use dosage levels in most cases but not having the option to use as a stock essence is not acceptable to me and I would avoid sellers who play such games.

October 17th, 2009 | 10:56 pm

I feel that either may be appropriate depending upon the individual, HOWEVER, anyone selling essences ought to make it abundantly clear whether the bottle is a stock essence or a dosing essence as I feel strongly that there IS a difference. Personally, I won’t buy single essences EXCEPT as STOCK essences.

October 17th, 2009 | 10:57 pm
Marti:

I believe there is a synergy that takes place when folks mix their stock into a dosage bottle. Flower essences are wonderful in that they are general, but also very specific, and the intent is made much more clear when mixed in a dosage bottle. I try to remember that the essence is only a suggestion to the body to react in a particular way, but the body does the work. So, when I mix for myself or for others, I always do a dosage bottle. I personally always look for stock, and mostly use FES/Bach/Pegusus for that reason.

October 17th, 2009 | 11:36 pm

Though I don’t want government regulation in this area, it would seem to me the companies themselves would have a vested interest in describing their essence as either being stock or dosage. This is one main reason I make my own – I KNOW when it is mother, stock, or dosage strength. Like liquid homeopathics, I find shaking them and/or tapping the bottom of the bottle repeatedly a number of times (I like 100) on my palm helps activate them moreso than if they are allowed to sit a long time. I talk to my clients about all of these things until they thoroughly understand. It is empowering to really participate in the process, and if clients get even closer to the language of flowers during their healing, all the better!

October 18th, 2009 | 1:44 am

Wow!This is a lively discussion. As a producer, I automatically sell all my products at the stock level which then gives the practitioner opportunity to make dosage bottles for their clients, and for lay-people to extend their essences by making their own dosage bottles. I give instructions about doing this and feel this is part of the appropriate spirit of generosity that should come with all flower essences. To hear that this protocol is not standard is distressing because I, like some of the other writers, do not want to move into arbitrary legislation. Again, I appreciate Vibration’s education in making people aware of these issues.

Again speaking as a producer (Raven Essences) I also agree that practitioners do put a ’spin’ in their creative use of my essences within the context of their practice. The versatility or adaptability of essences to many creative variations (some with sound, radionics, on-the-body, with affirmations, or in combination with a wide variety of modalities) is something I have learned to appreciate rather than attempt to control! I am always intrigued and delighted when I hear about a new approach to using the essences. This creativity within the healing paradigm is a healthy sign, in my view.
Good conversation! Andrea Mathieson

October 18th, 2009 | 1:56 am

I have been working professionally with commecially available flower essences from around the world since 1986. During that time I have created 90 stock formula combinations and use them mostly as the basis for dosage-level bottles for my astrology clients.
My research has indicated to me that it matters little whether an application of essences is from stock or dosage, as what we are really talking about here is the quantity of brandy and water. as the “carrier substances” for the vibrational frequencies, being the literal “thought-forms/consciousness”, of the flowers, the spiritual emanation of the plant.
Whereas there is a limit to the effectiveness of flower essences in large bodies of water (7 drops applied to the ocean, for example would be overwhelmed by the multitudes of frequencies the ocean contains), as long as we are working within a reasonable ratio of essences to carry subtsance, the essences will be effective in altering brain circuitry. I also agree with Marti that our intention in the dispensary is important and does affect the essences (I use Buddhist mantras).
A major issue in buying flower essences is that stock level bottles contain a higher percentage of brandy etc as preservative and simply have a longer shelf life. And, yes, of course we have a right as consumers, to know whether are buying stock or dosage bottles.

October 18th, 2009 | 7:39 am
Muriel:

As someone who now makes my own and helps other people and animals with essences I think companies who sell dosage strength and do not say so are acting immorally and are cheating. We expect to be buying stock strength as that is what most are.

If you’re selling dosage/treatment strength, be honest and say so.

I do think there is probably a place for selling both as when I started using them I bought Bach and used from the bottle not knowing any better…. waste of money. Now I dilute any I take and find I have better results.

But for the average newcomer to essences it may be helpful to buy dosage strength.

October 18th, 2009 | 3:48 pm
Pat Davis:

Pat Davis here. I just wanted to share a letter I received regarding Dr Bach and the issue of whether he used stock or dosage level:

Dear Pat Davis,
A friend sent me your article Buying Essences at the Stock vs. Dosage–Which are You Getting? In which you say: However, there is no evidence Dr Bach ever used essences at the dosage level.
However that is not true.
If you will look in his book “The Twelve Healers” you will find in the chapter entitled ” Methods of Dosage” the following: “To prepare take about two drops from the stock bottle into a *small bottle nearly filled with water; if this is required to keep for some time a little brandy may be added as a preservative.
This bottle is used for giving doses, and but a few drops of this , taken in a little water, milk, or any way convenient, is all that is necessary.
*Up to 30 ml (1 oz.) size. Full instructions issued with remedies”
I am a Bach Remedy practitioner since 1967, was trained through the Centre in England, introduced the Bach Remedies into Holland in 1972, and was the European Representative for the Bach Remedy Centre for some years.
Now I am in semi-retirement.
I liked your article as your overall approach is quite clear and sincere about the confusion about stock and dosage.
In all my years of working with the Remedies, I have found direct use of the stock bottle as opposed to using a dosage bottle not as effective. (as was commented on by Vibration Editor, Donna Cunningham, at the end of your article).
Sincerely,
Ioanna Salajan

October 19th, 2009 | 11:21 pm
Jenny Capuano:

Hello
Fisrst of all, I would like to thank u from the bottom of my heart for ur publication. I am mexican and live in Mexico City, thanks to your zine I´m in contact with magnificent articles and a scope of different flower essences and its uses. I know this is not about ur article, but I wanted to share so you would know that yuo´re also read in different countries and that we appreciate all the work you do.

October 21st, 2009 | 12:31 am
Suzanne:

What Dr. Bach in his book ‘The Twelve Healers’ called the stock bottle, he meant what we now call the mothertincture. And by ‘This bottle is used for giving doses’ he meant what we now call the stock bottle.

October 25th, 2009 | 11:20 pm

This is a great conversation and we need more like it. As a producer perhaps I can shed some additional light on the subject. It is actually a legal requirement in the U.S. to state whether an essence is being sold at the stock or dosage level. Most of the older essence companies are in compliance with this and other label requirements. While it is legal to sell dosage bottles, they must be clearly labeled as such. And there is a bit of responsibility on the customer to check the labels of the essences they want and if they are not labeled correctly, notify the producer, or quit buying them. The Alaskan Essences have always been sold at the stock level of dilution, even though it does require the customer to go through a few steps to prepare a dosage bottle. As a practitioner, I very much enjoy and value this process. Again, thanks for the conversation!

October 26th, 2009 | 12:05 am
Moses Siregar:

I’ve done experiments that have shown me that there is no difference in potency between “stock” and “dosage.”

Working with a gemstone elixir that everyone in my group could immediately feel the impact of (from a stock bottle), we created an instant “tenth” generation dosage mix. We put one drop from the stock bottle into a cup of (only) water. Then shook up the water and placed one drop from that cup into the next cup. Then repeated the process until we got down to the tenth cup.

We then each tried drops from the tenth cup, and to the surprise of many in my group, the potency felt EXACTLY the same as the original stock bottle.

I am thus a firm believer that you cannot dilute the potency of a flower essence, and that the stock/dosage distinction is merely and only about how much alcohol is in the bottle. This is why I advise people merely to refill the bottles of flower essences that they purchase from others, since you cannot dilute the actual impact of it by doing so.

October 27th, 2009 | 1:59 am
admin:

Everyone, what a wonderful conversation we have going here! I wanted to comment on a couple of things…

First, looking at some of what’s been reported here, it does seem that we are not at all clear about what Dr. Bach meant by dosage and stock. I personally am not disturbed by this because I believe that he was not the end of the line when it came to how essences have developed, how to prepare and use them, etc. We do, however, have to get our terminology straight in present time, and know what it is we are buying: something to take straight from the bottle, or something we dilute. This to me is the real crux of the issue.

Second, I would NOT assume that all essence strengths are the same based upon a test using a gem elixir. Goodness — gems are NOT flowers! Gem essences are an entirely different beast, in fact. They are so powerful many people just can’t handle them. Therefore, while that experience as reported is no doubt valid, I would not generalize it to mean anything about non-gem essences. Additionally, I would not generalize anything across manufacturers. One’s gem essences may act very differently than another’s upon dilution. — Deborah

October 31st, 2009 | 10:16 pm

This is a great forum for conversation! I would also like to mention a point I didn’t see in other comments. There is a wide difference between companies on how they create their stock and dosage essences. for instance I use 3 drops of mother essence per 2 dram (1/4 oz) of stock. I used to sell 2 dram with 3 drops of mother essence and 1 oz stock with 12 drops of mother essence. I have switched my bottle size to 1/2 oz and they are made with 6 drops of mother. I keep the proportions the same. There are some companies that use the same number of drops of mother essence no matter what size the stock bottle. Some practioners feel the different and others claim no difference. There is also at least one producer whose method adds 2 more layers of dilution and still call their essences “concentrate”. I wouldn’t want to do that and yet, there are plenty of satisfied customers of that line and that’s all good. I do also want to point out from the viewpoint of a producer that even when I make the same variety of flower essence as someone else, the essences can be quite different between the different producers. The variety is like a bouquet! It seems that no matter how much we keep ourselves out of the process of essence-making, our energy, our healing beliefs, etc. are all a part of the essence. i’ve come to realize that that’s what draws us to particular lines….they just “feel right”. Blessings, Kathrin at Fox Mountain

November 4th, 2009 | 3:58 am