« Rescue Remedy: A Faithful Friend in Crisis
Time and Flower Essences »

Photographic Evidence that Essences Help Plants

Posted by admin on Nov 28, 2009

©2009 by Deborah Bier, PhD

The photos in this post were taken during a 1995 flower essence experiment held in my basement at home,  as reported below. After not being able to lay my hands on them  for some years, I located them just yesterday while doing a massive (paper) file reorganization. These photos have never been published anywhere before!

(You’ ll find them at the very bottom of this post, after the “about the author” section; WordPress is giving me fits instead of formatting the text correctly unless I put the photos at the very bsrbphotoottom! Go figure…)

Take a look at the series of photos at the end. Can you tell which group was treated with essences? And which with the placebo (water alone)?  The essence blend, Master Harmonizing Mixture (MHM) contains Sedum (”Release from Limits”), Clover (”Acceptance”) and Peonies (”Child-like Excitement”). After several replication trials, this is a summary that I wrote:

“We ran several experimental trials using scarlet runner bean seeds (photo at right) and Master Harmonizing Mixture [Whole Energy Essences] to see how the essence might affect their germination and early growth. We had two groups: one that received the essence daily and one which received a placebo daily when they were watered with the same amount of water. The growers conducting the experiments did not know which was which (though it quickly became apparent). Except where noted, the results were replicated over multiple trials.

“In all trials, every individual in the essence group germinated as fast or faster than those in the non-essence group; not one was slower. In one trial, the MHM-treated plants germinated an average of 25% faster. There was always 100% germination of the MHM plants. The non-treatment group always germinated at a rate of 80%.

“In the MHM group, there quickly emerged what we called ‘exceptional individuals.’ That is, a number of plants with exceptional qualities (bigger, bushier, bloomed earlier), with none of these individuals srb5.jpgemerging in the non-essence group. Pictured above you can see one of the final stages of the experiment.  The essence-treated group turned out to be on the right, the water-only group on the left.  (Again, see the full series at the very bottom of this post.)

“There were several instances of damping-off (a fungal disease of seedlings) and other types of unknown damage in the non-essence group. The damping-off always proved fatal to the plants in that group, which is normal from our general gardening experience. There was only one occurrence of damping-off in the MHM group, and that individual showed amazing recuperative abilities, displaying a new, tiny set of healthy leaves at the point of damage only a day after the disease was first noticed.

“And lastly, one trial indicated the MHM group required far less water than the non-essence group. A future experiment will have to be conducted to examine this specific response.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Deborah Bier, PhD is co-editor of Vibration Magazine, and a holistic healthcare practitioner in private practice in Concord, MA. She is the author of Flower Essence Practice: For Students, Essence Practitioners & Other Healing Professionals (Windfall, 2008). She is also the author of Healthy Connections: Flower Essences for Better Family, Friend and Work Relationships; The Encyclopedia of Vibrational Essences, and Learning About Vibrational Essences (find all these titles here). She is the maker of Whole Energy Essences, and is the director of the metro-west Boston, MA office of Caring Companion Connections.

Photo Credits: Top right, courtesy of WikiMedia Commons. Others: ©2009 Deborah Bier, All Rights Reserved.

The World Wide Essence Society does not mean to imply any recommendation of nor give certification to any individuals or companies whose articles or comments appear on this blog. Articles are provided purely for informational purposes. We ask consumers to make their own determination as to quality of the services and products described. Articles are not meant to be advice, and the information is not meant to replace medical or psychological treatment. All articles and comments offered by readers do not necessarily represent the views of Vibration Magazine.

srb1

srb2

srb3

srb4

srb5.jpg

8 Comments »

shira:

Thank you for this inspiring article! Deborah, I’m wondering what particular essences are in the Master Harmonizing Mixture you used. Have used flower essences with people for twenty five years, and have never yet experimented with plants.
Much gratitude for all you do in the healing community!
Blessings,
Shira Lee, M.A.

November 28th, 2009 | 9:17 am

What an AWESOME study Deborah! I love using essences on plants, and I really do believe it makes a difference, though I never did a side-by-side study. I just started seeing better results in the plants I started using them with! THANKS for this post!

November 28th, 2009 | 9:19 am

the ones on the right look like they are auditioning for Jack and the Beanstalk

November 28th, 2009 | 12:00 pm

I appreciate the focus on encouraging growth and well-being, as well as innovative self-healing that this study with plants conveys. In the western model, we look for what is wrong and try to fix it. Working with what is well and supporting the life-force in being even more fully present is, in my experience, the most compatible approach in working with essences with my clients. Though many people come with something they are disturbed about, often it is, when examined a little more closely, the life-force or soul within them trying to carve a new way forward, like a river that has become log-jammed with debris.

Essences work with the life-force, amplifying its potential, its intelligence, its healing properties, its natural vitality. This study clearly outlines this process with plants. I’m making the leap, and I don’t think it is a big one, that this is also what it does with human beings and animals.

The interesting point is here that you started with germination, both the most potent and most delicate time in a plant’s life. We sense, from what the study has indicated, that the ongoing life of each plant will be equally strong and vital, perhaps with properties, as you have indicated, that we had not anticipated or expected from the plant.

That fostering of the unexpected is also what I see as a potent effect of essences. They support the body-soul development of what we do not know within ourselves. Unlike plants, with human consciousness we have the self-reflective ability to observe and coordinate with the shifts of energy the essences are encouraging within us. This study requires us to considerably expand our consciousness about the radical possibilities that essences invite for the germination and development of our human evolution.

My sense is that why flower essences have come more strongly to the fore than ever before. We need them to make this leap in consciousness with what is occurring on the planet.

Thank you for sharing this study, Deborah. It is very timely and inspiring.

November 28th, 2009 | 5:09 pm
Muriel:

Doesn’t surprise me at all. I actually used essences with plants for the first time a couple of weeks ago when transplanting a totally pot-bound money plant and an aloe vera baby I’d been given. So far so good…. I used Rescue Remedy and Walnut.

November 28th, 2009 | 7:06 pm
admin:

Good question what’s in MHM! I’ve just added a brief description of it and its contents in the body of the text. Here is what I said:

“MHM” helps us re- establish and experience our inherent state of harmony. We think of it for general use. It helps us organize, settle, and focus. It contains Sedum (”Release from Limits”), Clover (”Acceptance”) and Peonies (”Child-like Excitement”)

best,
Deborah Bier

November 28th, 2009 | 8:07 pm
Susie:

Deborah-
Thanks for the great article and picutres!

I have houseplants that haven’t been fertilized for over 2 years – only watering with various essences from formulas no longer needed – and they thrive beautifully.

Blessings,
Susie

November 28th, 2009 | 9:40 pm
Dawn Marie Ford:

My gratitude for your work to show the effects of the love of Gaia and Natural Life Force. By living in communion with Nature and listening to her, we are able to live vitalized, happy, and grateful lives. I simply requires listening and complying. I have made Essences since 1992 and use them with gardens, soil, people and animals. Their healing and love straightens one center, integrity, and vitality.

December 1st, 2009 | 6:48 pm